Hi everyone! Yeah, it's a bug fix.
I was taken aback and investigated what had occurred; after about 5 hours, I was still trying to fix it with no success.
After troubleshooting, I realized the error was coming from
CNAME mapped to my domain as suggested by Hasnode.
How to Fix This Problem
- Go to your hashnode dashboard
- As seen below, go to the domain section:
In the image above:
The first highlighted section represents the
CNAME that was added earlier to my custom DNS, which stops working all of a sudden.
The second section is the
A Record that I replaced with the
CNAME on my custom DNS.
All you have to do now is go to your hosting platform and erase the
CNAMErecord you added; don't worry, we'll recreate it later.
A Record, point it to the IP address shown in the image above.
Your Blog should be live ✌️
It may take up to 24 hours for DNS changes to propagate fully. But it's usually pretty quick. You can check the progress by using a service like this
Check out your DNS health status
Visit this URL https://toolbox.googleapps.com/apps/checkmx/
It takes a couple of hours to resolve this issue; I hope you will fix it in less than 5 minutes.
Kindly Like and share with others. 😊
See you in my next blog article. Take care!!!